If this is your first time visiting my blog, and you'd like a brief ICLW summary, click here.
I love, love, love comments. Not only do they make me feel better, they make me feel HEARD. This is a feeling many of us struggle with during IF, I think. Knowing that unless you've been through this, you don't really understand it makes me feel sort of invisible in a way.
Anyway, I digress. I love comments. However, I feel the need to comment on a comment left recently on my blog. This was not a nasty "who the hell are you to say blah blah blah" comment left by some anonymous poster. In fact, I believe it was a compliment. However, it struck a nerve with me and I feel I need to clarify.
A day or so ago, a new reader commented that it sounded like Mo and I have a "true love story." This is not anything like any comment ANYONE in real life has ever made to us. Not because they doubt that we love each other -- within ten minutes of meeting either one of us, it is very clear that we do. However, our story is nothing like what I expected love to be when I was young(er). Or even when we got married, for that matter. Our "courtship" and marriage have been so full of ups, and downs, and twists and turns, potholes and detours and outright roadblocks that there are days when I wonder how we ever made it this far.
Our first challenge hit us just after we got engaged, several months before we ever made it to the altar. It was a "do or die" situation that I naively plunged straight into, not knowing just how much it would affect the next seven years. I stood by my husband in a time when many girls my age (just 21) wouldn't -- maybe couldn't? -- have.
We started our baby-making journey right away, though God in his wisdom perhaps foresaw that the timing just wasn't right. Because within just a few months of our marriage, we were hit with several more life-altering challenges. (I know I'm being kind of vague, here, but out of respect for Mo's privacy -- and perhaps a desire to avoid having to justify myself -- I just don't feel like "going there" right now).
You know those stress lists? The ones that list all the horrible things that can happen in life, and then tell you to check off the ones you are facing right now? And how, if you have dealt or are dealing with just one or more of those during the past year then you are under a tremendous amount of stress? Mo and I have faced every single one of those items (and a few more!) during the last six years, many of them simultaneously, and all of them ongoing.
I don't tell you all of this to make you say "Wow, they must be so strong! What a perfect couple!" because that is the furthest thing from the truth. Mo, you see, is NOT my white knight, or my Prince Charming. He is utterly, wonderfully, terribly human. He is weak when he should be strong. He is overly sensitive. He is stubborn. He can be gratingly annoying. He is as far from perfect as you can get.
And so, my friends, am I. As we have faced all the difficult things that life has thrown our way, we have made so many mistakes. I have made so many mistakes. We've argued, we've slept in different rooms. We've threatened one another with separation, with divorce. We've called each other out on all of our human failings. We've dragged the past into the present and thrown each other's mistakes and generosity right back into each other's faces.
We've also hugged and kissed and supported one another. We've cried on each other's shoulders. We've apologized and forgiven one another. We've looked toward the future, together. We've prayed. We've been there for each other, warts and all.
The one thing I have learned through all of this is that love is a choice. It's not something that happens to you, something you accidentally fall into or out of. It's a decision, a commitment. I choose to love Mo, even when he doesn't really deserve it. And, for some reason I'll never understand, he chooses to love me back. It's never easy; in fact, sometimes it's the hardest thing in the world. But it has never been a choice that I regret.
So you see, I have no sparkly tiara and Mo's white horse (if he ever had one) is probably out to pasture by now. A fairy tale we most certainly are not. But maybe, just maybe, this might turn out to be true love after all.
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your story sounds wonderful. I've been praying about my own marriage and hoping that we can each keep choosing to stay.
ReplyDeleteThe thing is, I don't thing that there ARE any white knights or tiaras. We are all so broken. That fairy tale fantasy can be a cruel one when you're in the midst of real life.
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautifully written, truthful post about how love really is. And this is true love, because you make it that way with a lot of hard work.
ReplyDeleteWell done, Jo.
One of the things I love best about my marriage is how "real" it is. It is NOT a fairy tale.
ReplyDeleteYou have an award at my blog.
This struck a nerve with me. Mr and I went through about 2 years of crossing all of those things off the list (the stress list). I know exactly what you speak of. We've been through loss and joy, hard times and times of utter despair where we were afraid what the next day would bring. Yes, we made it through but you do not go through those things unscathed. I appreciate that you are able to express that in words.
ReplyDeleteOOH girl, I just want to grab you and Mo in a big hug! You hit the nail on the head with this post! This is awesome, and truly what love can and should be! I am so happy you have your utterly human, painfully flawed, white-horseless perfect match. That's what life is all about. I totally agree with you that love is a choice, and it's totally worth making that choice every single minute of every single day. I'm leaving with a smile on my face and gratitude in my heart for my own "less than perfect" perfect match too! :) Thank you for this post!
ReplyDeleteICLW
This is so TRUE! and this is also what makes your story a true love story because it did not just happen you work at it and love, true love, is definitely WORK!
ReplyDeleteBeing able to make a relationship work through hardships is what makes it true. I know if me and my husband can make it through this IF crap then we can make it through just about anything. Fairy tails are overrated.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment on my blog...maybe my coworker and your sister should hang out, it sounds like they would be BFF.
You just described my marriage: indeed, my entire relationship with my husband since the day we met.
ReplyDeleteWe have more than had our share of bumps bruises and baggage. But we still love each other: even the broken bits.
I think we all have tiaras and white horses. It's just some of the tiara's are fakes: or some are bent and twisted, and some are just broken. And the white horse? Sometimes its a donkey: sometimes it's made out of a broom.
I don't believe in a perfect match or happy endings. I believe in ironies and coincidents: and that sometimes, just sometimes, things work out the way they should.
Jo
ICLW.
Thanks for visiting my bloghouse earlier!
ReplyDeleteHere, here to 'love is a choice'! I have been married to my own 'love' for 11 years, and it has been wonderful, and hard, and challenging, and heartbreaking, and fulfilling. It is not an easy path to go, but the results are so worth it.
Dealing with IF will either make couples grow together or apart...we've done both at different times, but we always end up closer in the long run.
So glad I found your blog! ICLW!
Eve (infertilityrocks.wordpress.com)
I hail from ICLW.I totally hear you on the stress list. Our first year of marriage was stressfull. Deaths, moving, new jobsx3, health issues...the only stessor was no baby. At the time that was great...now, a huge cause of stress. My husband is also terribly human, but he is MY HUMAN!! For me personally Love is. It just IS. :)
ReplyDeleteHave a good thursday!
That is a great post on love.
ReplyDeleteWhat doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!
What a wonderful post. Your relationship sounds strong and beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI also believe that the hardships can strengthen a relationship. Hubby and I have been married 12 years, and the years and experiences have strengthened our bond.
I love this post.
ReplyDeleteHere from the Creme... I LOVE it. It made me tear up. I, too, feel that Hub and I choose to love one another, and it makes for an awesome marriage as you say, "warts and all."
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post about real life, real marriage, real struggles. I feel like people don't always speak honestly about their marriage, which makes for unrealistic expectations for the rest of us. We are all human, and chose to love another human imperfections and all.
ReplyDeleteWell you just summed up my marriage. Mind you, we were told from the beginning of our relationship that it wouldn't last a year and yet here we are nearing 5 living together now (but married a year).
ReplyDeleteAnd like you we have had the stress list filled many times over. And it's still ongoing, but we are still here. Still here, fighting for our marriage. We still want "us" to work
Jo (from the Creme)
Um yeah Jo... you summed up my marriage as well... and you said it how it is.. love is a choice and a series of choices through all sorts of situations... it doesnt just float in on a pair of fluffy wings! thanks for the truth...and the honesty.
ReplyDeleteThank heavens you have this love to sustain you - good decision!
ReplyDeletehere from Creme. Thanks for this - very fitting after a blow up w/my husband 2 days ago (winter storm cabin fever?); anyway, it is amazing that we choose to love each other back.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for all you've been through. Glad you have each other and the ALI community. Hugs.
I think your story is what real love stories are all about. Fairy tales are just that. True love takes committment and work. True love is imperfect, but it is so wonderful! I am new to your blog and love what I read so far!
ReplyDelete