Mel's recently wrote a brilliant post about spare change really hit home for me. (If you haven't read it, please take a moment to do so. It's absolutely one of the most thought-provoking posts I've read in a while).
If you've been 'round these parts for a significant chunk of time, you know that Mo and I have had lots of issues. We've dealt with our share of sorrow and setbacks and marital grief. We are FAR from the perfect couple, though in real life our scars are much less obvious than they are here. It's not that we put on a "show" for others, it's more like our private life remains more or less private in the real world, whereas here I kind of let everything hang out. I blog as a personal kind of therapy, hence the pseudonyms and anonymity over here. I am not ashamed of my infertility; but I have to admit, sometimes I'm ashamed of how I've handled it. How WE'VE handled it.
Because, I will be honest here, Mo is taking this latest negative much harder than I am. He is much more discouraged, and much more frustrated. And I find myself unable to help him, to lift the fog of depression that has enveloped him. He is lashing out -- at me, at the world. He is pushing me away, blaming himself for our situation, telling me that I'd be better off with someone else. He is angry and bitter, as I often am. The difference is that this is not his usual modus operandi, and so I am less certain of the best way to handle it. I look at him sometimes and wonder, "Who the hell IS this person?" (God only knows what he thinks when he looks at me).
I tell you all of this for a reason: because of Mo responds to grief in his own way (which is nothing like how I respond to it), I've found myself thinking of all the ways in which he doesn't do everything the way I want him to. Lately, it seems that when I want to cuddle, he wants his space. When I am tired and want to sleep, he wants to vent. Neither one of us seems very capable of giving the other what they want without our own feelings being injured. There's been a lot of silence, followed by showers of angry words and tearful outbursts at our house lately. I find myself thinking, "I'm not asking all that much. Why can't he give me what I need?"
And then I read this:
"But there is not a marriage or partnership in the world where the person doesn’t ask an enormous amount from the other person. Is loyalty a small thing to ask for? Constant support? A promise to make decisions together? To love each other? To never break your vows?
I don’t ask that from many people. In fact, I don’t ask that from anyone other than Josh because they’re all enormous things to ask for. When this husband said that he didn’t ask for a lot from this woman, I’m not sure he was seeing just how much he was asking of her; that we all ask of our partner if we have one. Making meals? Doing stuff with the baby? Those are small things. It would be like asking someone for $20,000.32 and focusing on the 32 cents. She gives him the $20,000 daily by being a loyal partner. By loving him. By not breaking her vows (yes, I am making a lot of assumptions about their marriage). All that he can claim he’s not getting is the 32 cents."
And despite what I sometimes post here, I have to admit that I get that $20,000. Mo loves me with every fiber of his being -- I don't doubt that. He is affectionate and compassionate and kind (most of the time). Does he have his flaws? Of course. But so do I -- and I get so upset when HE focuses on the minor things I don't do -- and yet I do the exact same thing to him. When it boils down to it, Mo gives me so much. Financial and emotional support, love, companionship, shared goals. He gives me loyalty and fidelity. And what do I focus on? I focus on the one hug I wanted at an inconvenient time, or the sigh when I interrupted (for the fifth time) the movie he was watching. I focus on the dishes that he leaves in the sink or the laundry that isn't done. I focus on the fact that he needs to get away to clear his head instead of hunkering down and hiding from the world like I do. I focus on the small change, instead of the (much) larger, and much more valuable, whole dollar amount.
I want that to change. No, I need that to change. I'm not saying that I want to overlook important differences that we have -- but I need to focus more what is right with us than what is wrong. God knows there's plenty of things we don't agree on -- but in the bigger scheme of things? Those are minor. In fact, those differences are what make us interesting. So what if he prefers reality TV shows and despises my geeky comedies and tragic melodramas? Who cares if he enjoys swimming at ungodly hours of the morning as opposed to running mid-afternoon, like I do? We have distinctly different personalities -- but we balance each other out. My bitterness is often countered by his optimism, my shyness by his outgoing nature. I bring the stability, he brings the spontaneity. Together, we can work -- but not if I keep my laser-sharp eye on the things he doesn't do, instead of the things he does.
It's a small change, perspective. It's the difference between creating a life -- or a marriage -- and destroying one.
That's my two cents, anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow. Very touching and a good reminder. I read Mel's post, too, and enjoyed your application of it. It's amazing how fast those .32 can erode a marriage, especially in the infertility world. Communication and Grace are the keys, and maintaining a healthy dose of the bigger picture.
ReplyDeleteWow -- thanks Jo -- I needed that right now.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds *very* similar to where DH and I were for a long while, especially since he was in a depressive episode to the point where I really wondered who this guy was in front of me. We were able to come out of it, assisted by him coming out of the episode, but also assisted by being able to focus on the $20,000 instead of the 32 cents.
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks for that well written post. I SO get where you're coming from, as this infertility thing nearly broke up my marriage last month. We're now rebuilding and trying to re-appreciate each other's good points, and forgetting the 'small change' stuff. Your observations about marriage are so true!
ReplyDeleteI think this post is an excellent counter point or addition to Mel's. Marriage is really like a foreign country that only two people inhabit. But both of those people have come from two separate countries, and speak two different languages, and have two different ideas on how their new country should function. Finding a common language and common goals isn't an easy thing. When you throw in something as challenging as infertility and pregnancy loss...well...the crap really hits the fan. I wish you both the very best. And thank you for opening up. No couple is perfect, and it is nice to be reminded of that fact.
ReplyDeleteFantastic post. Here's one thing I didn't write in the other post that I also think about: we live in the day-to-day world, in the 32 cents world. We get moments in the $20,000 world, but they're moments. Which is why I think we focus on the 32 cents. Because it's right in front of our face.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I think letting go of the 32 cents if you're getting that $20,000 and keeping that perspective is important. I think Chickenpig has to right above. It's making those two worlds mesh. You have the most important part, the biggest part, that part that is really hard to find (someone willing to fork over $20,000). I love the change in perspective.
Brilliant post. Thank you for this.
ReplyDeleteI think you, Chickenpig and Mel have hit the nail on the head. The reality is marriage is hard work. Happily ever after doesn't really exist: there's always going to be bumps in the road (some are speed-bumps while others are bolders). But as long as you are able to see the $20,000 and to work together to build each other up, you will emerge stronger, not only as a couple but as individuals.
ReplyDeleteSending love and light to both you and Mo during this time.
What a fabulous post! And what a great reminder to all of us.
ReplyDeleteSo what I needed to hear right now. Go love on your husband (you know, unless he's watching a movie or something), and I'm going to do the same!
ReplyDeleteSometimes we find the right thing to give us perspective just when we need it the most. I'm glad you found that thing at this time. *hugs*
ReplyDeleteI needed this post today. We're going through some hugely difficult issues that have the potential to permanently damage us and reading this post has just helped me, however momentarily, to not let everything snowball and roll us down the mountain.
ReplyDeleteThe $20,000 is sometimes really hard to see. I'm glad you're getting it together and I hope Mo comes out of the worst of his grief-fog soon.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Since Mel's post I've been really trying to cut my husband some slack and appreciate all that he does do. Very well written and I hope you guys find some equillibrium.
ReplyDeleteJust stopping by because I was thinking about you - I hope you are well!
ReplyDeleteI haven't been online much lately and just read both your post (first) and then Mel's original. Both such wonderful, though-provoking posts! I've had at least five or six moments in my 9-year marriage where I felt absolutely certain I'd married the wrong man. We've had mean, harsh words exchanged--some due to infertility or the grief of child loss--some due to other issues entirely. But somehow, so far, we've been able to focus on the commitment we made to one another and the life we've chosen to build together and forgive and forget the "piddly shit" (as my dad calls it!). :) Here's wishing continued love and an ever-strengthening marriage for you all--heck, for all of us! xxoo
ReplyDelete