That may not come as a shocker to most of you, but it about sums things up pretty well right now.
I am angry at much of the world -- everyone who has ever had babies, easily or otherwise, or who will in the future have babies, with or without huge costs to their marriage, their sanity, and their self-esteem.
I am angry at infertility -- that faceless entity that has stolen so much from me.
I am angry at my husband, and his inability to accept the reality of our situation. (He actually wanted to talk tonight about using his sperm and a known donor egg if this next IVF doesn't work -- because, even though that's way more expensive than d-iui, and there are no known egg quality issues, this can't be " all his fault." *)
I am angry at the System, and the bureaucracy, and all the red tape. I am angry that adoption has become a for-profit business that is trumpeted as the answer to all of our problems by people who will never have to consider all of the sacrifices we will be making if we ever do choose to walk down that road.
I am angry that, at 31 years old, I have spent a decade chasing the unattainable. I am angry that I may have "wasted" my most fertile years waiting for an opportunity that has already slipped out of my fingers.
I am angry that I have spent so very much of my soul on this process -- and still have nothing but emotional scars and a broken heart to show for it.
I am angry because I am grieving. I get that.
I am grieving the loss of the life I planned, and will never have. I am grieving the loss of the babies I created and carried and will never hold. I am grieving for my marriage, which has been battered and broken and patched up again too many times to count.
I am grieving for the person that I was, and will never be again.
No matter how this ends, the girl I was is gone. There is no way to escape that fact. I am forever, irreversibly, damaged. There has been too much pain, too much sorrow, too much bitterness and regret.
Sometimes it feels overwhelming, impossible to bear. And yet, somehow, I bear it. I wish I could say I bear it gracefully, but I do not. I bear it, but with a deep and unforgiving anger that bubbles just beneath the surface. I do not hide it well.
Some people are beautiful on the outside. Others are beautiful on the inside.
I am neither. **
Beneath my very average face, and all my extra-padding, is a heart that is twisted -- black and gnarly and wholly repulsive.
So, yeah.
I am angry.
Angry.
And broken.
And sad.
* I have never, ever, said that any of this is his fault, just for the record. Our diagnosis is male-factor infertility and recurrent miscarriage. There are many things at play here, some of which we understand and others we don't. I absolutely do not blame Mo -- but, if we are looking for solutions, we need to look at the things that we DO know are contributing to our inability to get/stay pregnant, don't you think?
** Yes, yes, I know. Learning to love myself, accept my flaws, blah, blah, blah. Some days I can manage that. Today? Utter failure.
Monday, February 11, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So sorry, sending a virtual hug.
ReplyDeleteI feel the rage along with you. I can't understand why adoption costs so much, among other things.
ReplyDeleteMF and miscarriages go hand in hand. There is nothing wrong with either my husband's or my genetics, but when you make embryos w my husband's sperm they are wonky as hell. We had docs suggest to us from day one that we should just do IUI with someone else's sperm. Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, it would have saved me a lot of misery.
I wish I had encouragement to give, but I know it would just sound false. :( You have a lot of time left in your eggs, if you've still got fight left in you. No one can blame you for your rage, but I don't think it makes you ugly inside. Battle scarred, yes, ugly, no way! You have been nothing but kind and supportive, and that's beautiful. I wish you strength to keep pushing on.
your post makes complete sense given what you have gone through. you are correct there is no blame but you are right to suggest the path where you could have the most success (DS).Know that we are all here reading and wishing the best for you.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for all of the pain you are going through. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry.
ReplyDeleteI think I understand why your husband is hesitant to do IUI-D, in the same way I was reluctant to do IVF with DE. But, man, is it an easy fix compared to what you've already been through. (I say as someone with about 30 IUIs under her belt) For your sake I wish he could see that.
Let it out. Scream it out.
ReplyDeleteSending a hug too.
I feel you. I really, really do. I can bear the loss of the babies who will never be, but somehow, not the loss of an innocent heart. That really seems like too much.
ReplyDeleteI get your pain. It took us going through three IVFs for my DH to come to peace with diui
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for the pain you are growing through. Processing and grieving hurts. But it is a step we all have to face at some point. I hope eventually you can view infertility as changing you, yes, but not destroying you. I am sending you some positive energy and hoping that outlets like this blog help you process.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you're feeling so angry now, but it's completely understandable. You two have been through a lot. MFI is a blow, and it takes a long time to see progress, if there is any. It's frustrating. I hope you and Mo can agree on the best way to move forward. It seems so unfair to lose the support of your spouse on top of everything else.
ReplyDeleteYour anger is completely understandable. Hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteYou have every right to be angry (especially at that comment from your husband -- sorry, but that's not right of him to say). In the pit of your despair, however, know that this is a natural response to dealing with the shit card you've been dealt, and that eventually -- who knows how long, but eventually -- you will come out on the other side of this and hopefully be stronger because of it. I know that sounds like utter B.S. right now, but all these scars that we accumulate do ultimately give us greater perspective than most blissfully ignorant fertiles...
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry it's hurting so much right now. I feel you. When I'm in those really angry places of just despising everyone who (I imagine) has a simple happy life, I try to remind myself that the anger is really just an expression of the grief. You're brave and strong and not ugly, but I understand all those feelings, I think. You have every right to be angry. Rant as much as you need to, we're here to listen and rage with you.
ReplyDeleteYou have said what I and so many others have felt over the years. Tha I you for doing it so gracefully and honestly, even if you can't see it was indeed both. Big, big hugs...
ReplyDeleteRage on! Your anger is completely understandable on all counts. I'm sorry you're going through all this.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. I've read this post in my reader over and over, knowing that you need a hug but knowing also that I'm one of the ones you're angry at and not wanting to make it worse.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you're still here, still stuck in a shitty situation for so long. I'm sorry I wasn't a better bloggy friend. Many hugs.
*hugs*
ReplyDeleteExactly what manapan said.
Everything you are feeling is totally, totally valid! Ugly emotions are part of life - I believe that even the most apparently zen person is just very good at concealing their moments of ugliness. It's the human condition. You're not alone, and you're not a bad person for any of these feelings. Hang in there...
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for everything you have been through, it's such a battle, this thing called infertility. Loss and failed IVF-cycles can be so damaging in different ways. No wonder you are angry, let it out if you can. Hugs.
ReplyDelete