Some of you long-term readers may recall that I painted that room just last summer, in an attempt to reclaim the space as my own. And while I had the most grandiose ideas of actually using it, the room in fact became a dump-all for all the crap I just didn't know what else to do with.
Around Christmas, I began storing clothes and getting dressed in there in the mornings in an effort to avoid waking Mo (I leave much earlier than he does during the school year). So, in addition to being crammed full of papers and books and non-working computer parts, I now added big piles of shoes and sweaters and dress pants to the mix.
Beyond that, the door remained closed. Those baby-blue walls were just too painful a reminder of what I had hoped the room would become.
Today I gave both the room and myself a fresh start. I've now got nice, bright neutral walls that lend themselves to whatever use I may find for that room in the future. Whether that's as a nursery, a guest room, or just a continued catch-all remains to be seen -- and I'm okay with that.
---------------------------------------------------------
What's different this time is that I have no back-up plan. Before, I always knew exactly what I would do if we had a negative beta. I knew what the next step was. I knew where we were headed.
Now I have no clue what I will do if this doesn't work. Or, for that matter, if it does. I really AM just taking everything one step at a time, trying not to allow myself to slip too far into either despair or elation. Staying in neutral, if you will.
---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
So that's where I am today. Neither here, nor there. Not up, not down. Just in the moment, waiting to figure out which direction this is going to take. Hoping for the upswing, but prepared to downshift just the same. (Okay, have I totally overdone the metaphor now?) And totally wishing I could fast-forward two and half weeks from now, to that place where answers lie.

That's about how I feel too :) 'Hope for the best, expect the worse, and have a plan B' has been my motto. Even if my plan B usually just involves drinking a lot and crying into my beer.
ReplyDeleteI look up to you for having the guts to attempt IVF again. I did it once and currently have one frozen embryo waiting for us. I am just too scared to even call the Dr for the consultation appointment though (not to mention the money!) I hope this cycle is THE ONE for you though! :) (dropped by for ICLW)
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about being "cautious." I like to be positive and hopeful, but I think that we just know to much and the innocence of pregnancy is forever gone for us. I wish you all the best on this cycle and I look forward to following along!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog, Jo! My fingers are crossed for you this cycle and you will certainly be in my prayers during your transfer week. Stick baby, stick! Can't wait to read more about you and Mo, thanks again for finding me.
ReplyDeleteSometimes being neutral is a good place to be. With so many ups and downs, being neutral can be a relief! I hope the next two and a half weeks stay "neutral" (or improve!) :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog. I'm looking forward to following along on your journey. Prayers for you that this cycle will continue to go well and that you'll have a sticky baby!
ReplyDeleteI think it's really good to try and stay neutral...I'm trying to do that too.
ReplyDeleteGood luck getting through the next 2 weeks or so...I know it's so hard...
Hugs...
Neutral is a great place to be. It's hard to do, but if you can stay there for as long as possible, it will do you good. Hang in there!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for commenting on my blog - I really hope this time is the time for you!
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping that these weeks will fly by and that you will have the best possible of answers. I wish you the best.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog! Always nice to find another teacher. I truly hope this is IT for you guys, IT as in it worked, but I understand wanting to remain in neutral. I constantly tell myself not to get my hopes up, and often tell myself that it's not going to happen, just to keep myself from getting so disappointed if it doesn't turn out the way I want. I hope the universe rewards your awesome neutrality. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOh my - it's so hard to be in those periods of waiting. You're in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you will have good news very soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm rooting for you really, really hard!
ReplyDelete