Tuesday, March 20, 2012

When It Rains, It Pours

So that zen feeling from a few days ago?  Completely gone.  Call it a delayed reaction, or perhaps I've just reached my limit for shit sandwiches being handed to me wrapped in pretty packaging.

Monday was the official beta.  Negative, of course.  No surprises there.  What was surprising (shocking, even?) was that after inviting my sister to breakfast that morning (the morning when I officially get the news that genetic children of mine and my husband likely will never be, mind you, the morning when I know FOR SURE that we have wasted close to $40,000 on NOTHING BUT HEARTBREAK) -- well, this is the morning she chooses to tell me that she is pregnant.

She found out Friday, so it's not like she couldn't wait a few DAYS (or weeks, even) to tell me. She is 5 weeks, 1 day. It's not like I even NEEDED to know yet.  I mean, WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT?  Who says, in a nutshell, well, I'm so sorry it didn't work for you.  You seem to be handling it so well.  Oh, by the way, I know YOU can't get pregnant, but guess what?  I am!  Aren't you happy for me?

She should know better.  Not only has she witnessed my journey (including our three first-trimester losses) from a very close proximity, but she herself has experienced infertility.  It took her two years to conceive her daughter (via Clom.id), and they've been trying for over a year for #2.  They wrapped up three Clom.id cycles just prior to us starting our FET.  She told me she was done.  Which really doesn't matter -- she is entitled to keep trying.  I know I would.  I don't even think I'm angry that she's pregnant -- I love my niece to death and look forward to having another little one to spoil.  But, really?  Did she have to tell me THAT DAY?  Where is the compassion?  Where is the self-control?  She claims she couldn't keep a secret -- but apparently she can, as she didn't even tell me they were cycling.  And each day when she checked in on my POAS addiction, she never said a word.  So, really, could she not have held it in a few more days?  Or hell -- even past the first ultrasound (which isn't for another month, because that's how "normal" pregnant people do it).

I didn't need to hear that yesterday.  (You would have been proud, though.  Not only did I hold it together and make smiley happy chit chat for the rest of the day, but I didn't even blog about it until she had time to tell Momma MoJo.  Aren't I good?)

As if that wasn't enough, Mo bailed on me on Sunday.  He's handling this even worse than I am.  He left town to go gamble and drink a few hours away, promising to be back Tuesday morning for a dentist appoint.ment. Of course he stayed longer than expected, lied to me last night and said he was coming home, and then texted me this morning to confess he still hasn't left.  He's sorry, he's drunk, he's going to sleep it off.  Which is all well and good and great for him.

But where does it leave me?

I will tell you exactly where it leaves me.  It leaves me home alone, crying in bed, blogging about how shitty things are in my life right now.  It leaves me empty and aching, while everyone around me takes care of their needs first.  The people I turn to and lean on for support -- the ones who are supposed to GET IT -- have left me high and dry.

I'm so close to being done, with all of it, and yet I. CAN'T. QUIT.  Because the next one, that one might be the one that brings me what I've been looking for for so damn long.  I've been pushed to my breaking point so many times before, and somehow I just keep pushing that line a little further.  I excuse other people's bad behavior, because I understand what it's like to be in their shoes.  I know how much my sister wanted another baby, and I know how exciting it is when a hard-fought for pregnancy is achieved.  I know how much Mo is hurting, and I know he's coping the only way he knows how.

But, honest to god (or the universe or whatthefuckever), I'm sending out this notice: NO MORE. I have reached my limit.   I just can't take any more, okay?

53 comments:

  1. Oh Jo...I'm so sorry for all of this! I can't believe your sister would be so insensitive! I don't think I would have had the strength to be so nice and create idle chit chat after that. I think I would have had to have left the situation and melted into a pool.

    I think you need to take a couple of days completely to yourself, since it sounds like everyone else has taken care of THEIR needs.

    Take good care of you -- thinking of you often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to keep from melting until today -- but trust me, I'm a puddle right about now. Thank you for the love and support -- it really is all that is holding me together right now.

      Delete
  2. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. That's all I can really think about after reading that. Holy shit, wtf was your sister thinking? Obviously, she wasn't. Wow, people just amaze me, and you amaze me in that you were able to be composed and finish interacting with your sister without inflicting bodily harm or screaming obscenities.

    I'm thinking of you and Mo. I don't know how men deal with this, but being lied to doesn't really sound like something I would want to hear. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah....holy shit about sums it up. People amaze me as well. You would think, after all of this, that they wouldn't....but they do. I am also terribly sorry for the beta hell you are currently enduring. If we lived in the same town, tonight would be a great night to go out for a girls' night and infertility bitchfest.

      Delete
  3. Oh Jo... this just makes me want to cry and cry. Nobody should EVER have to feel how you are feeling right now. And I so agree that quitting trying just isn't an option sometimes, not when there is even a little chance. That leaves us in such a hard space, mentally, emotionally, physically. Oh my heart just breaks for you. I am so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Slynn. I cried and cried writing it, and cried some more re-reading it. I suppose that's a therapy of sorts? Thank you for the love and support -- it means so much.

      Delete
  4. I'm really sorry. My heart aches for you and what you have been through and are going through. Your sister should have kept her news to herself and been there to support you instead. I wouldn't have handled it as nicely as you did. It sucks that your husband isn't there to lean on but be easy on him because it's hard for men too and we all handle things differently. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amber. I am trying to keep that in mind -- he is grieving, and even though he doesn't grieve the way I do, that doesn't mean this isn't hard for him. I just wish he could grieve at home, with me. Whoever said men are from Mars and women are from Venus didn't know my husband -- there are days I think he's from Pluto. :-P

      Delete
  5. Im so sorry. I was in your shoes last December and it was the worst hell I had experienced so I get the mixed emotions you are feeling right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm going to have to go back and re-read your archives. How did you deal? My sister's first pregnancy was very hard on our relationship, and it took several years to repair it. I don't want to move backwards with this one -- but I am still so hurt. How did you cope?

      Delete
  6. Oh god. Its all awful and yeah, you can never tell where the eff success is...just the next block or 25 miles away. I'm so sorry your sister did not wait just a little while to tell you. Does she read your blog? She should really find out how much this hurts.

    Take care of yourself, I'm praying this cloud passes soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jay, I sure hope she doesn't! :-) Momma MoJo is the ONLY IRL person who knows about this space. My sister knows I blog, but I don't think she knows where, or my pseudonym, or anything like that. She approached her infertility so differently than I did, and she never really felt the need to link up with this community the way I have. It was a private matter for her, and I was her private therapist. Which makes it hard now that she is moving on....but what can you do?

      Delete
  7. *HUG* Jo, I'm so sorry. I wish there was more that I could do to help, but know that there are people out here in the interwebs wrapping ethereal arms around you to hold you tight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hug was exactly what I needed. Thank you. :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh, I have no idea how you maintained. I really don't. I would have burst into tears, right then and there. It is constantly astonishing to me that people that we KNOW care about us can be so blind to how much this hurts. And how much the things they say and do can hurt. I think your sister was really out of line - and whether she understands the fertility journey or not, she could have been so much more sensitive and held her tongue for another week. To give you a chance to come to terms with where you are right now.

    I'm sorry your husband is doing his own thing right now. I DO know how it feels when your partner is off trying to cope in their own ways and you feel completely isolated. I am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think of all people right now, you probably do get this better than most. I am sorry for the beta hell that you are enduring -- it seems as though those of us who cycled this month (with FETs, anyway) didn't have much luck. I hope that your partner can support you better than she has in the past....you do deserve not to feel so alone.

      Delete
  9. No f'ing way! Are you shitting me? I'm so mad at your sister right now!!!! Great that she's pregnant, but why did she have to tell you yesterday? I mean, pul-eaze!!! Of course you love her, but you need support right now.

    That said, please know that you have the love and support of this community. Let us know what you need and we are SO there for you!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jem. I knew I could count on you guys -- which is why I am here, pouring my heart out online, instead of answering the phone or getting dressed or in other words interacting with the rest of the world. :-) Your support is what is holding me together.

      Delete
  10. I'm so sorry - that just sucks. That doesn't sound strong enough , like "that sucks" doesn't sound like I really mean it, but I do really mean it and all I've got is that really sucks. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K, I know the feeling. I've posted "that sucks" many times in a comment -- because IT SUCKS. There really is no other way to describe it. I know you mean it, and please know that your "it sucks" means the world to me.

      Delete
  11. Wow, talk about poor timing! That completely stinks and was selfish of her to tell you yesterday. Ugh. I hope your hubby is back soon too. I'm so sorry all this is happening at the same time. thinking of you.

    xo

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mo. Yes....timing seems to be the issue at hand, doesn't it? I am so glad to read that you are holding your own and so is your little embryo. Thinking of you as you do your IVIG -- anything good on TV tonight?

      Delete
  12. I would have cleaned my sister's clock. Seriously. I love my sister, and we are very close, so if she pulled that crap knowing what I was going through I wouldn't have pulled any punches. This just sucks. No ifs ands or buts.

    I've given my husband a lot of leeway for treating me like crap during my miscarriage. But I'm with you...enough is enough. The time for cutting some slack is OVER. What you need is a serious girlfriend intervention. Booze, ice cream, sappy movies, a night out carousing, a night in with pizza and strippers...whatever you need to do. The best I can do is throw you a virtual girls night, but I wish I could do it for real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we could do it in real life, I'd so be there. I do have a good girlfriend who did exactly that for me last night -- came over, helped me drunk-clean my house, and listened to me say "who the fuck DOES that" at least a hundred times. It helped. :-) I am trying, trying, trying to remember that Mo is grieving, but honestly, I'm kind of tired of his grieving meaning he isn't there to support me when I need it. Like you said, enough is enough.

      Delete
  13. Thanks, Alex. I think the BFN was actually the LEAST upsetting part -- at least I'm not stuck in some sort of beta hell or waiting to miscarry again. There's something to be said for a clear-cut, non-negotiable answer. If only I could be so clear with my family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, sweety, I am so sorry, this is some spectacular shitty luck you're having! how can all be happening to you in such a short time?!
    I do hope that the three bad things came together and now it starts looking up.
    I wish you lots of strength and some welcome change of luck - soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mina. I could use a change of luck, that's for sure!

      Delete
  15. I am so sorry, Jo. It sounds like you're at the place I was before my cycle with Tiny Boy. I was sure I couldn't possibly do another cycle beyond that one, that if it didn't work, I'd be done. I really don't know what would have happened if that cycle hadn't been a success... Give yourself some time to grieve and regroup. But, man, what was your sister thinking?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting to hear what the good doctor has to say, but I definitely think we have to try something different. What do you think made the difference on your last cycle?

      Delete
    2. My doctor would say donor eggs. I think most days I would agree with her. But I suspect the steroids, which I'd never used before, also made a difference.

      Delete
    3. I actually dug through your archives this week to see your protocol. What a rollercoaster ride Tiny Boy's early gestation was!

      Delete
  16. I'm so sorry Jo, wish I had something better. It's not fair, and I am amazed you held it together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least in public. :-) I don't know if I'd call what I'm doing now "holding it together." :-)

      Delete
  17. I'm so sorry. So, so sorry. Those pregnancy announcements from the clueless in our lives are so painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss reading your blog. I hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  18. Oh, this just sucks. Your sister really should know better. I vote take time for yourself--since everyone else has. Plus, it's probably something you need to do. For yourself. Sending you lots and lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent the entire day in bed today -- that was cathartic, I think. Does that count? :-)

      Delete
  19. Jo, I am so sorry you have to go thru all of this!! It just plain sucks and it's not fair! I don't know what else I can say, but I feel the same way...I can't quit! I keep changing when that will be (when we stop trying to become parents/TTC). Stay strong! I will pray for you and Mo (I hope that's ok---I know you don't really believe in God anymore).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it's okay. I DO believe in good energy/karma/vibes/thoughts, and prayers are just a form of that. I will take all the good intentions I possibly can! :-)

      Delete
  20. Oh dear God. That's awful. Jo, I'm so very sorry. It's especially hard because your sister should know better. I understand that she has good news (great news, even), but telling you the day of your negative beta is just cruel. The fact you made it through that lunch has me in awe, as I would have been on the ground, curled up into a small ball.

    I'm with soonafamily: go do something for you. That includes booking a trip to Europe/Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made up for it today, trust me. I may not be in the fetal position, but I'm still unshowered, in my pajamas, and abed at 4:00 in the afternoon.

      I wish an extravagant vacation was an option right now. A girl can dream, though!

      Delete
  21. My heart aches for you right now. Why does it all come at once like this, I just don't know. Massive, huge hugs hun. I am so sorry and I wish you had not had that news on top of your disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew why it all seemed to happen at once. I am sincerely hoping I've fulfilled my quota for crap this year!

      Delete
  22. Thanks, Kristin. :-) I need all the love I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow.
    Wow.
    I'm speechless.
    The term "clueless" is so overused but SO appropriate here. I'm so sorry. You must feel like a punching bag. Lots of love, peace, and joy to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tracey, clueless is a good word. The thing is, a few days later, she asked me how I was, and I was tactful but honest. She gave me this long-winded explanation about why she felt she had to tell me that second...so basically, she did think it through, and still came to the conclusion that her way was best. I just shrugged. If she doesn't get it, she just doesn't get it.

      Delete
  24. I am so so so sorry. You deserve so much better and I HATE how unfair life is.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sorry. I hate how people can be so insensitive. ESPECIALLY if she herself has gone through infertility. How can she not know how much that would hurt you. I was devastated when I found out my SIL was pregnant via Facebook a month after we told them everything we were going through and how hard it was. It blew me away.

    Try to keep your head up...there will be better days. Sending a hug your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out on FB for my SIL a few years ago, and it bites. My sister was trying to avoid that particular fiasco, but still. There was time to wait for a less raw moment, in my opinion.

      Delete
  26. I think your sister should be slapped silly. Did she even say she was SORRY? And I get about Mo and his non-coping skills, but that's an unhealthy way for an adult to react, and he KNOWS you need his support and that ain't it. And over and above those things, it is UNACCEPTABLE that you have to deal with all of those things together, right now, with everything else that's on your plate. I'm so, so sorry about all you're going through, and I wish I could do something to make it better. I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, misfit. Yes, my sister apologized...but I don't really think that she understands HOW horrendous her thinking was. She had justified telling me rightthatsecond in her brain, and there's no fighting that.

      Delete
  27. She was incredibly thoughtless, and I'm sorry you had to deal with that on top of the BFN.

    I wish the people in your life could be as supportive as your online community. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete