Wednesday, January 16, 2013

God: Like Santa Claus, But With Babies

I am an atheist.

I am also infertile.

My atheism did not cause my infertility -- in fact, throughout most of the last decade, I was a conservative (though not evangelical) Christian. I prayed daily, went to church regularly, read my bible every morning. I was never "rebellious," or looking for a way "out" of church. I was, and always have been, a "good" girl. Hell, I married the second guy I ever slept with (and was, briefly, engaged to the first). I don't smoke, drink rarely, don't do drugs. I was (and still am) extremely boring. I love kids, and I work with some of the most challenging every day.

And yet, when people hear I am infertile, the first thing they say is that they will pray for me. And that everything happens according to God's plan.

When I tell them I am not religious, they give me the look. The "Aha. I understand" look. As though, somehow, my lack of children is directly tied to my lack of faith. As though if I somehow prayed harder, or believed more, or trusted in "his timing," I would have the babies I so desperately desire.

And yet, can anyone seriously look around at our society today and tell me that God has been handing out babies only to his faithful? He isn't fucking Santa Claus. You don't get a baby because you are good, because you say the right things, or because you pray fervently. If any of that worked, I (and many of you) wouldn't be here, railing at the universe for our lack of fertility.

Even before I abandoned any notion of a higher power, I became convinced that God had nothing to do with babies. Who got them had little to do with who wanted them, and even less to do with who "deserved" them. And yet, it is impossible to miss the snide undertones of my fertile Christian friends and colleagues who seem to think that they are somehow superior because of their belief in God. And of course, their children are proof positive of this. They wanted babies, they prayed, and they got them. Even if a few struggled along the way, their faith and trust in God got them through -- and had I just been more patient, more faithful, I would have, too.

I hate them for that.

And yet, at the same time, I envy them their solid convictions, their ability to trust in the universe and some "plan" for their lives.

I know, more than anyone else ever could, that faith was never my problem. I know that I believed more fervently than most for a very, very, long time. I prayed with every fiber of my being -- not just for a baby, but for the health of my husband and of my marriage.

And, eventually, for the life of my unborn babies. Once. Twice. Three times.

Those prayers were never answered.

I have, over time, and after a great deal of thought and research, come to the conclusion that the chances of there being anyone out there "directing traffic" so to speak are very, very slim. It is impossible to prove a negative, so I will never say for sure that God doesn't exist (it's just very, very, unlikely.)

But I DO know this: I am an atheist, and I am infertile. And one of those things has nothing to do with the other.

28 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts, I don't have anything profound to say, other than that I, personally, find great comfort in believing in a higher being (I'm Jewish). I'm an extreme worrier, anxiety, etc. and I just function much better on a day to day basis knowing that I can, "let go and let G-d." For me, it just helps. But interestingly enough, I don't want to say my religiosity has waned, but b/c I have kids (through IVF, and now a spontaneous pregnancy) I'm not as "involved," and I often wonder why things are so good-b/c I should be doing more...and just like you said, and I'm embarrassed to admit it, I think, 'well, I guess I'm just deserving of it.' When I guess in reality, what does that even mean? Bad things happen to good people. I don't know why I've been fortunate and others, who are more deserving than me continue to suffer. I've struggled with that all times I found out I was pregnant. But, easing my anxiety is the belief that there's a plan...now that doesn't help anyone but me, but I guess I don't understand how people can live through tough experiences without the belief in a higher being or an eternal plan.

    And on the other hand-I'm constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop-so I guess my faith isn't as strong as I think. For me, it's like the saying of when things are good, you forget G-d, but when things are bad, you immediately turn to G-d.

    It's complicated, but I really hope you have some good news soon!

    myroseamongthorns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! I was nodding along the whole time! I am so sick of the notion that "everything happens for a reason" and "its Gods plan." If this is his plan, it is pretty mean!!!

    I am at a stage where I am exploring my belief in a higher power. But, if there is a god, I know he is not using fertility to reward good people and infertility to punish bad. Bad things happen to good people and vice versa.

    I also often WISH I have the faith that other people do. Believing that this is what is "supposed" to happen to me would make this a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could. Not. Agree. More. I could have written this post, but you've done it so much more eloquently. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excuse the wording, but AMEN!!! Too often, I've had the pleasure of being informed that "G_d has a plan," when someone learns about our struggles. As if somehow I've brought this on myself. And yet, I've had the pleasure of witnessing some of these same individuals abuse and neglect their offspring. And I've also watched people who would make excellent parents go through this hell.

    The one bit of faith that I do have is that if there is a higher power, I don't think humans have the ability to understand it. Hence no one should be judging another for things or life events they are unable to control. At the very least, to do so is to violate the very beliefs those who preach this BS are suppose to hold dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have ever commented here, but I just had to poke in and give you a shout of support, as an atheist myself.

    Y'all should an atheist infertile blogging group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how anyone could have a baby and not feel that it's a complete and total miracle. I had NO faith before having my daughter....now I have an abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post just speaks from the bottom of my heart! Thank you SO MUCH for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I am a theist. A Catholic, specifically. I obviously believe there is a God. And I believe He can and does intervene in earthly events, from time to time. I will never understand in this lifetime what persuades Him to intervene in some cases and not in others. But there's lots of things I don't understand, so, I am willing to let that question go for now. The short version is, according to what Catholics (are supposed to) believe, God is loving and benificent, and He promises us one thing of ultimate value: eternity in bliss with Him in heaven, if we strive to know Him, love Him, and serve Him to the best of our ability in the earthy life. He doesn't promise us bliss at any intermediate stage, and He doesn't promise us that the road will be easy. In fact, Catholics who are paying attention get a very clear picture that God tests those whom He loves; that greater love is tested with more arduous tests (see: Job); and that as we grow closer to God, we are united to Christ - on the cross. Heaven comes later.

    In short, Catholics with any degree of formation and emotional or spiritual maturity (who are paying attention to what comes out of their mouths) will never say, "God loves you, and if you keep praying for X, it will happen," or, "I'm sure He's planning to give you every blessing you ask for - it's just a matter of timing," or, "If you really have faith, it will happen," or, "God has given me these blessings because I loved Him so much," or even, "God gave me blessings because He loves me so much" (because if that were true, what did God the Father have against Jesus?). What's the greatest gift He gives on earth? The cross. You can't get through ten pages of the lives of the saints without reading of sufferings so gory they'll unsettle your stomach. We're told these people spend eternity in glory, so close to God they can bring our prayers right to the foot of his throne. There is a total disconnect between representing them as examples and representing a house with a yard and a dog and a white picket fence and 2.4 smiling adorable children and two SUVs as the definitive sign of the Lord's favor.

    Nevertheless, I hear this sort of bullsh!t from pious, dewy-eyed Catholic girls all the time.

    Why? Because admitting that God's most generous gift to His faithful is trials - means that if the gal is claiming to be ardently faithful, she's getting trials tomorrow if she doesn't have them today. I can't have kids, a fate so awful she can't even imagine it - after all, she loves Suzy and Joey so and she can't fathom her life without them. Clearly infertility won't be her cross, since she already has these adorable babies. But could God cook up something just as awful for her? Gosh, what might that be? Her husband could lose his job. Or...their marriage could fall apart? Or he could DIE! Or one of her precious babies could die. Or BOTH. You know what? Better not to think about the fact that we're supposed to love God for Himself, not for what He gives us, implies that we might have to do without any or all of the things we're attached to.

    Good grief, I'm long-winded. Believe it or not, there is a Part II of this...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Part II:

    I've presented a rather macabre view of Catholic spirituality, I realize, but concepts as grand and broad as heaven and hell and the self-denying love of God and the purification of souls have nothing whatsoever to do with a cute life in the suburbs. There's a whole 'nother reality occurring on a whole 'nother plane of existence that most people (including, usually, me) are missing, and that's where all the things worth caring about are really happening.

    Some shades of Protestantism - especially those with a Calvinist bent - see these matters very differently (and I know YMMV considerably by Protestant sect here). A lot of Protestants profess (while Catholics often believe it but profess something else) that if God loves you, you will be materially blessed. Hardcore Calvinists will go so far as to exclude from positions of authority in a congregation those who don't have significant material blessings - wealth, health, etc. Because if they believe God rewards faithfulness with EARTHLY blessings, then any lack is a direct manifestation of sin.

    I know you didn't ask for a dissertation on my views of mainstream Christian theology, but I think all of that is a necessary preamble to make clear that the following statements are not merely frivolous or trite (not I! I'm sophisticated!). Rather, they sum up a much more involved point:

    (1) No theology is worth bothering with that cannot account for the basic observable facts of everyday life. If you have to change the facts (that crack whore is secretly a missionary; that apparently virtuous and suffering couple is secretly sinful in some way I can't figure out) in order to make them make sense, you should probably change the theology instead; and
    (2) most of the Christian faithful are completely full of sh!t.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe in the miracles of science, even though science doesn't always work for everyone. :)

    What infertility has given me is a total amazement that any child gets born, ever. The odds stacked against us from the beginning are mind boggling. Life is miraculous, but deserving has nothing to do with it. I find it hard to believe that G-d has a plan, if that plan includes a man forcing his way into a school and shooting a room full of first graders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree completely with the "miracle" of science.

      Delete
  11. I love the misfit's comment. Like she pointed out - most of the greatest saints went through some horrific suffering. Earthly blessings do not equal holiness. I am a recently returned to the faith Catholic, after being mostly agnostic for over 10 years. I definitely don't think God is up there handing out babies to the deserving. I don't think he's micro-managing - I definitely believe in free will (and all the good and evil that comes from that). I absolutely hate the phrase "everything happens for a reason", but do acknowledge that God can let good things come out of bad situations (like us adopting our son after so many years of infertility).
    I definitely think having Isaac in my life, and finally experiencing motherhood, drew me back to the Faith in a way that I can't really describe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad I came over from the Round-up for two reasons: First, I totally agree with you and feel the same way. WTF are people thinking when they say "it's not God's plan" or "God has a plan" or whatever other nonsense like that? If there is a God, I sincerely doubt he's sharing his "plans" with you (not you personally, the you that's making asinine statements). Second, the misfit's comments are very intriguing to me. Although I grew up Catholic, I didn't learn much about Catholicism beyond what I picked up before age 13 (and in the more modern/less strict Catechism) and I haven't really thought much about it since. But I do know that most Christians tend to annoy me, and I think the misfit has put her finger on why that is. Most thought-provoking thing I've read today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I've struggled with this and think your post was well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bravo on this post from one atheist to another.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh i understand, and have wanted to staple responses to the heads of fertile Christians who told me it wasn't in some grand plan for me to have a second child etc. I work with criminals and the day I found out I was having my 4th miscarriage (second trimester, after 6 weeks of bedrest to sustain it) one of my regular clients was complaining that child protection authorities had taken her latest set of twins (her 2nd, she has 9 kids in total). We're the same age. There was some messy crying that night.

    I say this, because I do still go to church, and I don't say this to be disrespectful or detract from your choice of atheism but to say that most people have no idea of what we go through. They're clueless and trying to be helpful and failing in the process. I also think they have a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work...

    Assuming there is someone up there I don't believe that there is any rhyme to suffering - that my client is more deserving of kids than I or anyone else is, or there is some laid out plan just for us and we just get to bide our time to see how it plays out. Similarly, while it most certainly feels that way, there's no smiting going on to the infertility/RPL community. We've just got the bum end of the stick. In the end the colloquial shit happens, and religion (and the community that comes with it) is how love should expressed in this world to those are suffering. All the casseroles that have been dropped off from church ladies while I was on bedrest, and the hugs that people are thinking of me/us and calls are what it's all about. I don't go because somehow I figure there's some reward in it, but it's the comfort I find there that makes me believe. To me religion is more of a code of "how to live a good and caring life" than "if you do x, y, and z your life will be without suffering and get rewards." I have never really prayed for babies (though I can confess to bargaining on the "please let this one live" front) but for peace and a way to stay sane on what has been an awfully hellish journey. Hope you find some similar comfort. (and in the meantime staple this post to the jerky Christians).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you are nothing short of amazing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Came here from the roundup. I love this post so much. My husband and I were Catholic. His faith was much stronger than mine. There were many factors in our decision to leave the church. The treatment of women, the hiding of priests that molest, the fact they don't believe in getting treatments for infertility. Oh and the way they went after nuns for helping the homeless and poor instead of focusing on abortion and gays. I could go on and on.

    You really hit the nail on the head and I was just telling my husband how much I hate the statement "It is part of God's plan". Really? The same god that people say he gave us free will to make our own choices?

    I really like the statement of the miracle of science. After over 2 years of struggling and treatments we have our son. Did he bring back my faith? No. Am I amazed by him daily? Yes. Am I amazed in his miracle? Yes

    I'm sorry but if there was a god and there was a plan for him to give my cousin a baby that she highly neglects and abuses but yet those who are more deserving get one. Then I'm sorry I don't want to be a part of that god.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post. This is exactly how I feel, and I think it syncs very closely with Mel's recent post on Punishment vs Reward. Life doesn't work that way. Thanks for speaking out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Coming over from Mel's Friday roundup, this is a great post. One of my biggest pet peeves is this idea that God via appropriate and enough praying answers those prayers. Except for those that he doesn't? How can all of it, the good and the really bad all be God's will or plan. Also working as a nurse for new moms and babies I can absolutely guarantee that its not just the faithful getting babies. From my perspective it often seems that the more dysfunctional your life is, the more fertile. There have been so many times where someone has attributed something to prayer that it makes me want to say something I really shouldn't. The way I figure, if there's a god out there, he's just watching the world go by, not actually doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Here from the roundup and agree that God doesn't hand out babies only to the faithful. All you have to do is look around and see to know that is not the case!

    As a praying person, I would like to clarify what I mean when I say "I'm praying for you" to someone:

    I'm praying for you to have peace in the waiting.

    I don't know how your journey will play out. But I believe that The Lord does. And my prayer for every person, including myself, is to experience His peace (which surpasses all understanding) as we actively -by seeking treatment, in the case of IF- wait for resolution.

    Peace is something we all need a little more of.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I couldn't possibly have said it better.... Amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. here here! I never know what to say when people say they are praying for me... and then on those rarer occasions when they go on to say that miracles are known to happen and to be patient and to trust in the lord... bloody hell it can turn a sweet moment of compassion into making me want to spit nails!

    Go ahead religious friends and pray for my happiness, health, peace, and what have you.. but don't go hinting at some godly referendum on my worthiness to parent or worse my patience at waiting contently and passively for their god's plan for me to unfold. That just makes me think that the person isn't able to sit with me as a friend in both the painful and joyous parts of life. Why is it so hard to sit in loving support of each other during times of sorrow??

    Thanks for a great post!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah. I can never EVER hear the phrase "everything happens for a reason" without cringing. No, it doesn't. Someone posted that yesterday on FB and all these people chimed in and said yes! And I had to get off there really fast so I didn't say something I regretted.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't mind it when someone is saying they are praying for me. What I mind is when they said it was all part of god's plan. I just can't imagine that a god would want to see me and my husband suffering so much.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful post. I refuse to believe there someone up there doling out selective punishment and reward. And that goes for all f life, not just infertility, though I certainly received my share in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I lost my faith at 18, so it was years before I thought of having kids. But I completely agree with your sentiments.

    The thing I miss the most is a belief in an afterlife, and that's mostly because of the miscarriages. My other loved ones lived good lives. But I really, really wish that my last memory of each of my lost children wasn't so painful and messy.

    ReplyDelete