Our next step is likely to move forward with donor sperm. While I am okay with this (the MFI may or may not be linked to the miscarriages -- no one really knows), I know its a devastating blow for Mo. This treatment cycle is likely his very last hope for a genetic child. That's a lot of pressure for me, no matter how "relaxed" I try to be about all of it.
I am doing everything I can to make sure this is cycle is a success. We're doing all of it -- the vitamins, extra folic acid, baby aspirin, even the anti-inflammatory Claritin/Pepcid combo. We are basically just throwing darts and hoping that something sticks. The one niggling thought I've got, though is a passing comment Dr. Optimistic made before our fresh transfer (way back last summer at our initial consult). He mentioned that there may be scar tissue in my ute from the D&C after pregnancy #2. He never insisted on an HSG, though, and I didn't press for one. (My first HSG was about six years ago, and all was clear, and I had a lap in 2008 that revealed mild endo but nothing very concerning). I've had a gazillion u/s since that loss -- but would scar tissue show up on that? What about fibroids? I've never been told I have one of those....but, given how much is riding on this transfer, I worry that maybe that's gone undetected for far too long.
So this veteran is looking for some advice. Should I insist on an HSG before our transfer? I am traveling six hours to see Dr. Optimistic for an ultrasound next Friday. He wanted to do it personally (as opposed to doing it locally with my OBGYN because, as he stated "these embryos are too valuable.") If that's the case -- shouldn't I make sure that there isn't some sort of obstruction that would prevent implantation before we move ahead? Would doing an HSG mid-cycle complicate things? I can't remember 100%, but I thought I had to schedule my first one on a specific cycle day.
There are so many variables in the world of reproduction -- so many things to be checked and rechecked and new problems that arise every day. I know that eventually we will have to just go for it -- you can't predict / prevent / anticipate every single little thing. Everything could be picture perfect and it STILL might not work. But this is our last shot -- don't I owe it to my husband to make sure that it's as close to perfect as it can be?

If it was me, I would insist upon the HSG. I wouldn't want to have any what ifs going on if things didn't work out. Of course this is what I could do.
ReplyDeleteWishing you the best.
I'm having my first HSG next week. They told me it had to be scheduled between CD5 and CD12. It seems like it would make you feel like you'd done everything you possibly could to ensure a good outcome for this last FET. I'm with you--especially where your husband is concerned--you don't want to look back with any regrets. Sending you soooo many good vibes for a successful transfer and a pregnancy that sticks!
ReplyDeletedefinitely, there is evidence that suggests that a clean out before a transfer can result in pregnancy.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea about doing an HSG, but I would definitely inquire. During my c-section, my doctor mentioned fibroids and seemed to know about them, but no one had ever mentioned it to me before! So I would be wary that there may be something there, whether unknown or possibly known to one of your doctors but never mentioned to you.
ReplyDeleteWhat about a hydrosonogram that looks really at the uterus for fibroids and such?
ReplyDeleteHello, I'm visiting from ICLW. It sounds like you're struggling with your diagnosis of, every-thing-looks-good-we-don't-know-why-it's-not-working. I feel your pain. It's so hard to know what to treat, or how to advocate for yourself, if you can't pinpoint where things are going wrong. Have you explained your situation and fears to your doctor? Maybe he or she could give you more information on the pros and cons of an HSG. I wish you the best of luck!
ReplyDeleteI would, if your cycle permits it. Like it was mentioned before, it has to be done in a certain time frame. I am having a sonohystogram before my next cycle instead of HSG. If you have had a HSG relatively recently, the saline ultrasound may be enough. It doesn't 'clear out the works' like a HSG does, but it allows you to see everything about your uterus that you need to see.
ReplyDeleteThere is a very good chance that it is the MF causing the problems. It is pretty much blamed on all the problems I've had. I was lucky enough to get a couple of good ones in though, between the miscarriages and the chemical pregnancy. If I had had the two miscarriages and the chemical all in a row, I would have thrown in the towel and moved on to donor sperm myself. They just can't tell by looking at the embryos if hidden doom awaits..unless you do PGD. Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck. You never know, this FET could be the one with the good embryos. I'm hoping and praying that it is :)
Following my D&C in January, the REs insisted I do a saline sonogram to check for scarring and adhesions. Though they can detect fibroids without a problem with ultrasound, I was told that was not the case with the scarring. Compared to the HSG, the SIS was a breeze and allowed my REs to rule out adhesions and scarring.
ReplyDeleteMy two cents: If you have doubts, I would ask about doing a SIS. I think they can do done up to the point of transfer. Because a lot can change following a D&C and sometimes ultrasound isn't enough.
If it were me, I would insist on a HSG - just to be safe. You will always wonder...
ReplyDeleteThere is specific timing for an HSG. As to whether it would interfere with your transfer cycle, I don't know but I can see that it's theoretically possible. I know an HSG revealed a small polyp for me, so I think fibroids would show. I have no idea what would show scar tissue. I know that can interfere with pregnancy, but three out of three? And it wouldn't explain the first m/c. I think you need to talk to Dr. Optimistic and find out what the parameters are for the HSG and what it might reveal so that you can consider that in making your decision. Good luck!!!
ReplyDeleteDo the HSG, I had one 2 weeks before I ended up getting pregnant. I am 75% scarred over in my ute from fibroids and the 4 surgeries I've had to "fix" the bleeding problems. I was actually told I only had a 5% chance of getting pregnant, and luckily we did 2 weeks after the HSG. I've heard similar stories, so I say go for it!
ReplyDelete