Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Wondering How Crazy Crazy Can Get?

Crazy with a capital C, that's for sure!  I started the Est.race for our last-chance FET this week.  This is a different protocol from our last one (then we did Viv.elle patches), so its kind of new territory.  You may recall that AF showed up later than expected (CD40) and when she did she brought her friends Massive Cramps and Clotty Mess with her.  It was awful -- for about a day and a half.  And then she disappeared.  Hi, nice to see you, adios -- all within a hair's breadth of each other.  While I am sure that this is because of the increasing doses of est.rogen I am pumping into my body, you couldn't even imagine where my brain went (for just a second, I swear!) before I snapped it back to reality.

It's all because of my chemical.  For those of you who are new (or just stopping by), we had a very brief pregnancy after IVF #2 back in August.  Brief as in the two lines showed up at 6dp5dt, but by 10dp5dt the official beta had already begun to drop (14.5) and by 12dp5dt it was at zero.  12dp5dt is the equivalent of CD31 peeps.  So, what I had was a positive pee stick from about CD 25 - CD29....and nothing after CD30.  Which got me thinking -- how many times have I been late (I mean, really late) and not tested until at least CD35?  And got nothing?  And AF showed in an exceptionally menacing fashion a week or so later?  It hasn't happened often (I am fairly regular usually), but I can think of 3-4 times in the past 10 years when we have not been actively cycling where it HAS happened.  And it makes me wonder.  What if we DID get pregnant on our own -- and I never knew?  I didn't think it possible....but that cycle makes me wonder.

So you have that element of crazy, combined with another exceptionally late period that starts heavy and disappears quickly....and you can imagine the fleeting (and highly entertaining) conversation in my head this past week.

I've got to run -- the nice men in the white coats are here to take me away.  :-)

9 comments:

  1. While I can't claim to be so wise as to eliminate that as a possibility utterly for all time in the past and future, I do have to point out that you know it isn't true this time, because you tested, right?

    I have totally had a "funny" period lots of times and thought, "But that book said that a lot of pregnant women are surprised because they 'have a period' after they're pregnant and don't realize that there can be some bleeding and an early/late/light period-seeming episode is totally consistent with pregnancy and so maybe I will miss my NEXT cycle and then I'll realize that I've been pregnant this whole time..."

    It's never happened. Just part of the IF madness. And any kind of hormone protocol makes it that much worse - because it tweaks the cycle just enough to give me an excuse to obsess, and makes me crazy enough to obsess extra.

    IN OTHER WORDS: good luck on your cycle - you guys are in my prayers (I know, for what that may be worth). And please don't worry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the estrace! I was on it for this FET, and as it accumulated in my body I ended up with pretty bad heartburn- even when drinking water. Funsies. Are you doing the estradiol valerate shots too? Those caused crazy water retention. CRAZY.

    Ooooh, and just wait until the RE says your e2 isn't where he wants and has you start using the estradiol tabs as suppositories.

    yeah. funsies. Good luck though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know I am not the only one with those crazy convos in my head :) good luck with your FET!
    Happy icomleavwe

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is possible, I suppose, but your hormones are probably to blame.

    Have you had a HSG or saline ultrasound relatively recently? Because fibroids, polyps, even pockets of fluid or whatever can lead to weird periods such as yours...as well as preventing implantation and cause early miscarriages. When my fibroid was in all it's glory, I had late periods that were...let's just say...sloppy, and we knew I wasn't pregnant because we already knew of my husband's sperm issues. I'm just saying that a really good looky-loo at your lady bits might be in order before you do your transfer, if it hasn't already been done. I wish that I had my fibroid removed before I threw two perfectly good cycles away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? Craziness and IF? Those two things can't possibly go together can they? Just wait, I think the men in white coats are coming for me next, so you'll have company! Good luck with this FET!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck and peaceful thoughts for your cycle.

    Thank you for your comments on my grief blanket. My husband had a similar thought about me continuing stubburnly to march straight from POAS PFP to the store for more yarn and kept suggesting I wait and see. Although I tend to be a realist, heartbreaking optimism has been approach towards all of my pregnancies. So I'm in the crazy club, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here from ICLW. Thank you for your comment on my blog! Really appreciated it.

    I've often wondered if there were cycles where we were pregnant, but because I don't like POAS, we missed it. Especially in light of the fact that they haven't been able to find anything wrong with us. That thought is enough to drive a sane person crazy.

    Wishing you luck with this FET!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Cristy. I think there are cycles where we have gotten pregnant but we missed the BFP and it ends quickly. The entire TTC process when dealing with IF is one that makes us all a little cray cray!!

    Sending you lots and lots of positive energy for this FET!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy with TTC - goes hand in hand! I'm hoping this FET cycle is as calm as possible (I know, hard!) and it ends with a lot of positive excitement!!!

    ReplyDelete