Monday, May 21, 2012

Twilight

I feel like I have entered the Twilight Zone lately (and for you younger readers, that is nowhere near Forks, ok?)

Friday night went smoothly, with Mo joining a work friend for a baseball game while I caught up on some backl episodes of "Mad Men." He was home by nine, and off to bed we went. It was all "I love you's" and sweet kisses until either Fat Girl or Big Boy moved the wrong way and sliced a nail down my sunburned back.

I admit it, I yelled. And it wasn't particularly nice. But I yelled at he DOGS, people. So I was kind of taken aback when Mo started yelling at ME. It started innocently enough, with a "What's your problem?" but quickly turned into mutual "Fuck off"'s, of which I am not proud.

The thing is, something in me snapped. I was not going to sit silently while Mo called names, and so I returned each negative comment with one of my own. It was the most ridiculous game of back and forth I have seen since grade school. (You're an ass. No, you're an ass. And so on.)

Like I said, not my proudest moment. Still, I didn't expect Mo to come out and proclaim his desire for a divorce, given that moments before he was professing his undying love. And yet, that's exactly what he did. Multiple times. I knew he didn't mean it, and I tried telling him that, but he had backed himself into a corner. So I did what any self-respecting woman would do, called my best friend and went out and got drunk.

Or rather, that's what I should have done. Instead, I committed the ultimate marriage foul and I called my mommy. At midnight. And showed up on her doorstep bawling soon after.

I thank the stars that my mother is so forgiving. She loves me beyond reason, and I know she can't stand to see me and Mo fighting. She tries valiantly to support me without demonizing him. She knows I very well may decide to stay with him, and so she is careful not to cut that bond. Still, she has an outsiders perspective and I know that she knows Mo's Issues are not likely to change. I imagine it is incredibly difficult for her to watch me struggle, and yet to keep her opinions to herself and let me live my own life.

To cut a long story short, I vented for a couple hours then drove home. Mo was apologetic, as I knew he would be. We both said we didn't mean it, and we went to sleep. There were a few murmured apologies again the next morning, but for the most part we went about our weekend (including dinner with my parents Saturday night) as though nothing had happened. Like I said, Twlight Zone, folks.

I am not quite sure how I feel about this. I am trying desperately to establish boundaries and teach Mo how to disagree without it devolving into he mess it currently devolves into. I am not a therapist, nor any expert on these things. My primary methods of handling conflict involve either avoidance or direct confrontation, neither of which usually get me far. (And please, for the love of god, stop suggesting counseling. He won't go, and I have trouble finding one who either doesn't insist I leave him, or whose Christian subservience outlook depresses me. I know good counselors exist, I just haven't had much luck here in Podunk finding one. In truth, y'all are much more qualified than most I have seen.)

Still, it feels --odd?-- to be proclaiming divorce in one moment and love in another. That's not how marriages end, is it? Or maybe it is, and I am fooling myself into thinking that the possibility for a family is less than remote.

I did have an interesting conversation with my sister about it on Saturday. I told her that I was contemplating not telling anyone if we cycled again. That I felt a little bit judged, since all was not rosy on the marriage front. Who are we to be making a baby, after all?

Her response floored me. She told me that since she can remember, our whole lives, I have wanted children. That nothing in my life was more important to me, ever. It was my dream since we were toddlers. And she thinks that, no matter what happens with Mo, that is a dream I should still pursue. Maybe we will end up a happy family, maybe not. But she thinks I will be happier with children than without, no matter what.

I actually reached across he sushi bar and hugged my "hands off" sister at that point, because I felt like she actually got it. That thing I can't quite put into words, that reason why I keep trying to make things work out. Because my dream is not a fulfilling, adventurous marriage with a romantic partner. My dream is messy and squirmy and exhausting, but in the end completely worth it. I want children, first and foremost. And that's not a dream I can put off indefinitely.

Families are messy, and marriage even more so. I blog about it so that you all know that you're not the only ones. Sure, there are the annoyingly perfect couples out there (they are also the ones who get pregnant on their first IVF :-D), but we aren't them. Judge all you want, but I can contemplate a new life and an IVF cycle at the same time. Neither one is guaranteed to make me happy, but in the end? I've got to know that I did everything I could.

And so do you.



24 comments:

  1. This might sound like the most horrific assvice you've ever heard in your life - but I just can't seem to stop myself.

    Think hard- think about being a child in the situation you are in with Mo. Think about explaining to a sweet little girl why daddy isn't home this weekend. Explain to that same teenage daughter why it's NOT okay for her to go out binge drinking when she's seen daddy do it for the last -umpteen years.

    Think about a sweet little boy who worships his mommy... who turns into a disrespectful little brat because why should he listen to you and respect you when you don't even respect yourself enough to consider what Mo is doing is abuse.

    Straight up, plain and simple. No sugar coating it- Mo is abusive. He has a drinking problem and he refuses to get help. And you really and truly want to let this man raise children???

    You'd be better off pursuing single motherhood. I have no doubts whatsoever that your skills as a mother would be top-notch. Having been a long-term reader I've "seen" you try to mother Mo now for ages. I think you need to honestly step back and stop thinking about HIS needs and what is best for HIM and start thinking about yourself. It's not selfish. It's not wrong. There is a point where staying with him is actually more detrimental to him than leaving, and putting aside your own hopes and dreams is not as noble as people may have you believe.

    In the end you'll do what you feel is right for you, and you'll find support no matter your choice. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jo. I'm sorry. All of this sounds stressful. Very stressful.

    Honestly, I think your sister has some sage advise. The reality is, you're goal in life is to be a mother. That's an admiral goal and I'm confident that any child who comes into your life will be blessed and honored to have you as a mother. I guess the big question is: what do YOU want that road to look like? The truth is, only you can answer this. Only you can decide what works for you and what doesn't. None of that process is easy. Far from it actually. Because life is messy and scary. And there is NO one right answer; there's only the one that you can live with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously I don't live with you but it kind of sounds like you're expecting Mo to change into someone he's not. I get a "if only I could change him then he'd be perfect" vibe that I don't think is realistic. People for the most part don't change. They stay exactly who they are because somehow it works for them.

    So really what you have to decide is can you live with him as he is? Because the chances of him transforming into what you want him to be are slim.

    If the answer to that question is no, then deep down you know what to do. It's just a matter of having the inner strength and determination to set standards on how you deserve to be treated and not settling for less.

    Oh, and I'm not so sure I agree with your sister's advice. But that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry things have been so up and down and all over the place lately. It sounds like you need a break. I hope you find one soon.

    Mostly I just wanted to say that there is no judgement here. I don't know your story, but I've seen women in difficult, violent, situations make the choice to stay and forgive, and their reasons were not wrong. We all do our best, and no one knows better than you what that is.

    The other thing to keep in mind is what's best one day (showing up on your mom's doorstep, for example) might not be what's best another, and that's okay. Things will continue to evolve, and I hope that it's in a good direction.

    You have a lot on your plate right now. That must be very hard. I hope blogging about it makes you feel less alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh sweetie, I think this same thing- that if I had children I would be happier and the marriage thing would be less of an issue. There are no right answers. I am so sorry that you cannot find a good therapist, that is just terrible and as a therapist myself, I really wish you had this available to you. I want to suggest a book to you- It is called "hold me tight" by Sue Johnson- she is the founder of something called emotion focused therapy, an amazing theory/ technique for couples. The book is really useful. It might be good for you to read it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hold-Me-Tight-Conversations-ebook/dp/B0011UGLQK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1337688394&sr=8-3

    always thinking of you,
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad counselors are worse than worthless - I've now decided they are actually harmful. I'm so sorry your search didn't come up with better results.

    I can completely identify with your feeling about - in the end - wanting to be a mother, no matter what. I think I stayed with my ex longer than I should have because I wanted a baby. I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought about donor IUI - I want Skeeter to have a sibling so bad.

    In my experience with my ex, having a baby made his behavior worse. Something about the implied responsibilites and expectations of being a father made him go straight off the deep end. It was almost like he was going to show me how he could STILL do whatever he wanted and that his life didn't have to change just because mine did. I don't know - it's hard to explain. But he's a 40 year old man who is hell bent on proving to the world that he can still act like a 21 year old.

    I don't have any answers for you. But I hate to see you in this place. I hate to see you hurting and still without a baby in your arms. Just take all of these comments and apply them to your life as best as you can. And the ones that don't apply - just toss them (mine included!). Because, ultimately, it's YOUR life and even though you blog to us about it, you are the one living it. Not us.

    Always,love to you
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. If only counseling was the magic wand that people make it out to be. It is kind of like saying "why don't you just adopt?" to an infertile couple, no?

    I have no doubts that you will make an awesome mother. Maybe Mo will make an awesome dad, who knows? What I do know, is that you have the right to your dreams. And goddamnit, you have the right to yell when you get scratched in the back, for crying out loud, without Mo going to the D word! GAH! I'm sorry that I have no helpful advice to give, just sympathy and understanding. Just know in your heart, you can be a mother without him, and I believe you will be a mother, someway, somehow, with or without him. I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Your mom and sister sound amazing. I'm always thinking about you, and I hope that you find some answers and that you are able to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to add one more thing - I stayed with my ex longer than I should have and I got a baby out of the deal and I love that little boy more than life itself. It's hard to say I regret anything when I look at that face.

    But . . . it means I have to deal with ex for the next 16 years. And when he's gone on a drinking binge and doesn't show up to pick up Skeeter when he's supposed to, I'm stuck explaining to a crying boy who wants his daddy that "Daddy's at work but he'll be here as soon as he can." I swear, this kid must think his Dad works ALL THE TIME. One day we were at the grocery store and walked past a Bud Light dispaly and Skeeter pointed at it shouting, "Daddy!" Another day he came home from Ex's saying, "Daddy drinks beer!"

    And there's nothing I can do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's easy to say, "leave the bum," but I know that's not where you're at. And you may never be at that place. That's ok. You are the one living this life and you know what's best for you right here, right now.

    I absolutely agree that you should not give up on your dream of becoming a mother. But I hope you know that that dream doesn't have to die if you don't stay with Mo. Before my husband and I got together, I tried to get pregnant as a single woman. I know a lot of women wouldn't choose that route because they want a partner, etc, etc. Honestly, though, after having lived on both sides of the coin, I can tell you that from my experience it was much easier to pursue motherhood on my own. Infertility is never easy under any circumstances but at least when I was on my own, I didn't have to worry about how it would impact someone else or worry about it destroying a relationship.

    The bottom line is that whatever happens, you have options and the dream doesn't have to end.

    Thinking of you...*hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you. You will be an amazing mother!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lot of heavy stuff. I have hardly got the perfect marriage, either, so I can relate to that. My DH is also resistant to working on the things he needs to work on. But the alcoholism was not negotiable. He stopped drinking before we were engaged - I left him and told him he could ask me to reconsider when he had gotten help (which, miracle of miracles, he immediately did. He has not had a drink since 2004). I'm not claiming to be a hero or a genius; it may be the one overwhelmingly wise thing I have ever done in the marriage and relationship arena.

    I understand the struggle of thinking every day about whether this is just a rough patch you have to get through and it will get better, or whether this is for life, and whether, if this is for life, the status quo is a deal-breaker or not. And it's always impossible to evaluate any of that rationally anyway, because you're always overwhelmingly affected by the moment you're in. It's easy for people with "happy" marriages to judge - this kind of challenge would overtax anyone's ability to function well.

    I've been judged by people who questioned why I was even ttc when things were going poorly with my DH. (I thought, "Is this a good time to be buying a house?" was a better question.) My analysis was that the baby was a certainty and the difficulties were passing. I think I may have had that backward :). I was relying on the conviction that we both wanted to improve the problems in our marriage, and the hope that we could do so. Whether those were founded I still don't know; I still hope.

    Here's my question for you. Do you believe Mo acknowledges the problems in your marriage (and his behavior) that ARE problems, and wants to fix them? For example, does he want to stop drinking for good? (For an alcohol abuser, there's really no returning to moderation, and an alcoholic who claims moderation as a goal is telling you loud and clear that he never intends to stop getting bombed - regularly. I learned this one the hard way.)

    If the road ahead is long and difficult, hope is not misplaced. If the status quo is NOT ACCEPTABLE, and Mo is unwilling to AGREE that it's unacceptable and express DETERMINATION to change it, then - and this is not my business, but it's my opinion, for what little it may be worth - it's not a matter of whether you'll be divorced. It's when; and you lose a year of your life for every year you stay. But then again, even if a happy marriage is only goal #2, we all have to walk through life with our integrity intact, and you have to know you gave this all you could, too.

    You have incredible integrity, and you're incredibly tough. And I know that the understanding we have of your marriage (and that anyone has of mine) from reading these blog posts, however eloquent, is two-dimensional at best. You've gotten this far with great wisdom and fortitude, and I have no doubt you'll see it through to the end of the road, and put a lot of the "happy family" people to shame (and probably a lot of your meddling commenters, too).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand more then you know. I too have stayed when maybe I shouldn't because that dream of being a mom is something I can't let go of. I am lucky that I have my miracle IVF child. Is the relationship better, some days. Am I happier, yes because while the situation is not perfect I would not change my son for anything. It has been worth it.
    Good Luck,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand where you are coming from - my dreams have also always been about being a mom more than a wife.

    Hopefully we can both figure this out sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not offering any advice. Or judgement. Or any of my own experiences as an example. Because I don't have any. And even if I did, I'm not sure it would help you to hear it. I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and always wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know if it easier for me to judge, being on the outside. I don't want to judge or tell you what to do. But I think you should consider that as hard as IF is on a relationship, having children is really hard on a relationship, too. Especially twins, which is a higher-than-normal possibility with IF. I think I have a good marriage, but there have been many, many times in the last two years that I gave serious thought to the idea of divorce. Luckily, we've come through it and I think we're stronger now, but it was a really tough patch. If you keep moving forward with Mo and with your plans and hopes to have children (and I DO hope you have children, one way or another), please keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi--i stumbled on your blog a few days ago and wanted to tell you I really identified with this post. I went through a very similar situation when things were rocky between my husband and I. I received very similar advice to your sister's and followed it. I knew in the end, having a child was a million times more important to me than a perfect marriage. I am lucky that things between my husband and I got a lot better--but I would have continued to follow that advice even if they did not. I know in the end you will make the best decision for you-no judgment here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is tough stuff Jo. I'm so sorry you are going through it.
    I don't know if Mo is an alcoholic. I'm not qualified to make that judgment. However, *if* you believe he is, please think long and hard about what life will be like for any child you have with him. I have no doubt you will be a terrific mother. However, the best mother in the world cannot make up for an alcoholic father. I had an amazing mom but an alcoholic stepfather, and would not wish my upbringing on anyone. There are cases where parenthood makes a person grow up/fix things/end their addictions, and those are wonderful to hear. However, more often than not in my experience, the stress of parenthood makes those situations worse. Perhaps single motherhood would be a better path for you. It would be harder financially, but it sounds like you would have great support from your mom and sister. JMO. This isn't judgment--it's just a perspective from someone who has been there as the child of an alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't blog about it because sometimes my husband reads my blog. But if I can chime in with some assvice... Your situation reminds me so much of ours that sometimes it floors me. I thought that things would get a little better after we had a Real Live Baby and got the loss monkey off our backs. It actually made things so incredibly much worse. I'm stressed from working nights and taking care of the baby days while he sleeps off his latest binge. I yell. He gets pissy and drinks some more and helps even less. I tell him to GTFO, he apologizes and is good for, like, a week. Then we do it all over again.

    If I had known then what I know now, I'd have kicked his ass to the curb the day we were fighting and he told me (specifically to hurt me) that he was "glad the babies died". I almost did. I really, really wish I had. It would be much easier on me to think that I am taking care of my son alone because I am his only parent than it is to think that I am taking care of him alone because daddy is wasted again.

    Single motherhood would not be an insurmountable obstacle, especially since you, like me, live near supportive family. And in your case? Donor sperm would eliminate Mo's problems, which might make it easier to conceive and carry to term.

    ReplyDelete
  20. no words of wisdom Jo, i just wanted you to know, that whatever decision you come to, there will be people here supporting you from afar, every step of the way.

    much love my friend

    ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here from LFCA to offer some bloggy support! Ive never been in your situation, so all I can say is Im sorry you have to go through this. Infertility sucks but it sucks even more when you have problems with the hubby.

    I say go for the baby! It will definitely make you happier no matter what. Whether you stay with Mo or not is your decision. To me, it looks like single motherhood would be loads better than the shit you're putting up with right now.

    Whatever you decide, you will have support! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds really hard stuff. Abiding with you and wishing you all the best no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Been there, done that, lying awake waiting for the key to turn in the door. It's torture no matter how much you detach yourself. Imagine adding a baby to that mix?

    ReplyDelete
  24. As I've been contemplating the end of our fertility journey, sans baby, this was a well timed post for me to read. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete