The emphasis here is on the "I" -- while many assumptions are made about "what atheists believe," the truth of the matter is that the only thing we have in common is a lack of belief in a deity. I could go on for days about what I personally don't believe in, but what would that do except serve to alienate people who do believe? The only way for us to find common ground (and therefore mutually-beneficial solutions to societal problems) is to focus on the values we share. And so here you have it, a list of what I, Jo, believe in:
* I believe in gender equality. I think that the reproductive organs you are born with should have no bearing on the education you receive, the jobs you are qualified for, or the services that are available to you.
* I believe that who you have sex with, and how, (provided it is between consenting adults) is no one's business but your own.
* I believe that, likewise, your body belongs to YOU and only you should govern what happens to it (this encompasses a whole slew of things from tattoos and piercings, to the right to decide when and how many children to have, to the right to die with dignity).
* I believe in families, be they formed by birth, by circumstance, or by choice. I believe in loving adults being allowed to raise children, no matter their sexual preferences or marital status. And it should come as no surprise that I believe that the ability to create a family should not have to be influenced by economic factors -- adoption should be made affordable to all, and ART should be covered by insurance.
* I believe that all humans should have access to healthy foods, clean water, and affordable health care. And yes, I would consider health care as essential as food and water.
* I believe that this is the only life we have. I believe that, whenever possible, we should pursue our dreams now, and rectify our regrets, because we will not have the chance to do so later.
* I believe in honesty, forgiveness, and compassion. I believe that people should be encouraged to be who they are, without shame. I believe that everyone makes mistakes, and that second (third, even fourth) chances are sometimes necessary. And I believe that even if you haven't experienced something for yourself, you are capable of providing a listening ear, a hand to hold, or a warm embrace.
* I believe that everyone is shaped by their life experiences, and that our behaviors and choices reflect that. I believe that (for the most part) I cannot judge you for your decisions, because I may have made the same ones if I were you.**
* I believe in kindness. I believe that a smile, polite words, and small gestures can smooth this bumpy road immensely and make it a little but easier for us all.
* I believe in helping others, and standing up for them. To quote one of my favorite people, Dr. Seuss: " A person is a person, no matter how small," (or whatever their race, religion, gender, economic situation, marital status, favorite pastime, etc.)
In short, my lack of belief in the supernatural in no way means I lack values, or morals, or a sense of humanity. In fact, in many ways, I think it has made me MORE sensitive to the plight of others. Now that I understand that people (myself included) are not being guided or led by an all-knowing outside force, I can see how much of a person's circumstances is due to pure luck, or of birth, or of geography. There is value in all cultures, all people, and no one outside of the human race is going to step in and magically make things better.
If we want a better world, a better future, we are going to have to stand up and create it ourselves.
** Necessary exclusions being of course murder and rape, etc. I doubt that I would make those choices even in the most dire circumstances.
Monday, September 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

To quote one of my favorite people, Dr. Seuss: " A person is a person, no matter how small[.]"
ReplyDeleteI wish that were applied to the unborn...
I love love love love this. That's all I have to say. :-)
ReplyDeleteBravo, Jo! Anyone who claims you lack values or morals simply because you do not believe in a higher power needs to have their head examined. Too often, people stand behind beliefs that are hate-filled and destructive, using their religious beliefs as an excuse. The story of the feuding families in Huckleberry Finn portrayed this very well: sitting across the aisles from one another on Sunday, then killing one another the other 6 days a week. Each group assuming that their actions are okay because G_d is on their side.
ReplyDeleteIt's high time that we start valuing humans not based on their religious beliefs, but how they live their lives. That we stop passing judgement on decisions people make simply because they are foreign to us. Yes, there are emotional leaches in the world; those who harm others simply because they can. But too often people are judged on decisions very few have ever had to make.
Love this! I completely agree. :-)
ReplyDeleteyou are pure loveliness. I love everything about this...
ReplyDeletewonderfully written....you most definitely have a way with words and present upstanding morals and a great sense of humanity...thank you...
ReplyDeleteLove this!
ReplyDeleteAmen, sister.
ReplyDelete*standing & applauding*
ReplyDeleteDitto
ReplyDeleteSo...I tend to doubt you are trying to open up a metaphysical debate here...but, you didn't create any OTHER frame around the topic ("and, bearing this in mind, when I ran into that woman in the checkout line with the t-shirt that said..."), I find I can't help myself. Thus:
ReplyDelete"I believe that who you have sex with, and how, (provided it is between consenting adults) is no one's business but your own."
I assume that you don't think this with respect to the sexual behavior of a married person - i.e., I assume you think it is one's spouse's business if one has sex with someone other than one's spouse? And, what about unmarried people in committed relationships - is it the business of party #2 if party #1 has sex with party #3? (I could see a decent argument for "no," but I consider marriage more of a bright line than I would assume most atheists do.)
So possibly you don't think it's the spouse's (or significant other's) business, in which case we merely disagree. But if you DO think it's that person's business, then the next question is why. Because of the vows spouses take? If vows are binding, why are they binding? Are they permanent, and do we have the absolute right to dissolve them at will? (If so, what requires us to declare that dissolution rather than just trampling on the vows in secret?) If it's not the vows, then is it because cheating on one's spouse involves deceit? If so, what makes it wrong to lie? Are there circumstances in which lying is OK? Does each of us get to decide when it's all right to lie based on our own criteria? Do we have any right to oblige one another to lie only under appropriate circumstances? If it's not the vows and it's not merely deceit, do you consider it objectively wrong to cheat on a spouse (even if the spouse knows about it - not necessarily approves) because marriage is required to be faithful, period? If so, where does that requirement come from? I assume not any kind of divine law. Some form of objective morality? (Of what source?) Or do you view marriage as an institution in which the community has a stake (such that fidelity has a different value for spouses than for those who are merely dating)?
I am not trying to be mean here (if we were talking in person, this wouldn't be twenty questions, I would actually get to listen to your answers!). It seems to me that you have a strong internal sense of objective right and wrong, but you don't feel you have the right to declare that those things are objective (i.e., that they apply to everyone), perhaps because you don't like when other people make such statements to or about you. Religious people commonly face this problem in a different form: how do we remain faithful to what we believe about right and wrong and the essential good of the human person, without condemning everyone around us who disagrees as evil?
(This insanely long comment actually has a Part 2. I know, I am really pushing it.)
This is a place in which I think non-believers might find it especially helpful to borrow from Christians: you're welcome to our "hate the sin, but love the sinner" maxim. In my humble opinion, you'll end at schizophrenia if you try to hold on at the same time to your deepest convictions about right and wrong (you highlighted rape and murder, for example) and to the precept that you can't judge anyone else because you can't say what they're responsible for or even what rules should apply to them. The further you travel down each of those roads, the further apart they get from each other. (I find they converge on points like "I wouldn't wear that but it looks nice on you.") Of course there's also the question of subjective culpability (i.e., murder is wrong, but that person is mentally ill and did not know what he was doing; murder is wrong, but that person was so overborne by the appalling circumstances of the moment that he was not fully exercising his free will). But where we're talking about someone who's not in extreme circumstances, I personally find it easier to say, "That action was wrong. For him, for me - for anybody. I don't know what was in his heart; perhaps he didn't really understand what he was doing. I can certainly hope he'll realize his error, apologize, and try to make it right - and not do that again in the future. In the meantime, I can love him and pray for him, and, if I think it will help, let him know that what he did is not OK (but I still love him)."
ReplyDeleteThis is, indeed, a very long comment. There probably ought to be a commandment against that. Maybe somewhere in Leviticus...