Thursday, September 22, 2011

Left Behind

I didn't mean to go MIA, I promise.  I'm simply swamped with life, and work, and trying to find a balance that leaves me time to do anything besides clean the house or work on lesson plans.  I'm finally starting to get ahead, and promise to try to be a better blogger/commenter/friend.

I must confess, though,  I'm finding it kind of hard to read many of the blogs in my reader these days.  It seems like everyone is either pregnant or in the throes of an IVF cycle.  Everyone else, here and in IRL,  is moving on, except me.  I am tired of being the bitchy infertile, but I just feel left behind.  It's like everyone is graduating, and I've got to go to summer school.  All I want is that diploma, but due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm stuck in the audience, watching all my friends walk across that stage.  They are all celebrating (as well they should) and moving onto the next chapter in their lives.  Meanwhile, I'm here in limbo, still unsure of whether or not I'll ever get to join them, and yet knowing that life will continue to go on regardless.

Mo is making great strides in softening up toward adoption.  I think he's finally coming to the realization that that is quite likely the only way we will ever be parents.  I've quietly started researching all our options, weighing pros and cons of the different paths, and trying to wrap my head around the entire process.  Fellow adopters may shake their heads at my ignorance, but I honestly believe that after all we've been through in the IF world, adoption will seem a helluva lot simpler.  Yes, there's a ton of paperwork, and yes, there's a ton of waiting -- but haven't I been doing that already?  My medical history is as convoluted as my marital one, and I've filled out more than my fair share of forms, affidavits, etc. in the last six years. :-)  And don't even get me started on the waiting!!!!  After nine years and eight months of TTC  -- what's a little longer?

Our "Final FET" as I've begun to call it is tentatively scheduled for November/December.  I got the cycle plan in the mail today, and was so tickled to see how low-maintenance Dr. Down-to-Earth is making it.  Estrace for a few weeks, ONE sonogram (done locally), followed by more Estrace.  Start POI a few days prior to transfer.  Continue until pregnancy test.  That's it.  It almost seems a bit anti-climatic -- certainly not the ending that I anticipated to our fertility treatment journey.

And that's where we are.  Pretty much in the same place we were a month ago, but with slightly more optimistic outlooks for the future.  I keep trying to convince myself that pregnancy is just a tedious, exhausting means to an end -- and through adoption, I can bypass all that misery!  Certainly my body isn't a fan of gestating, as it so efficiently rid itself of all products of conception each and every time we tried to convince it that, truly, that WAS what nature intended it to do.  (Ha!  The uterus scoffs).

I know, I know...I'm a broken record these days.  I've just been on this rollercoaster for way too long and, people, I really, really, really want to get off.

I just don't want to get off emptyhanded.  

15 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine what you are feeling right now... I hope adoption does turn out to be so much easier than your TTC journey and I'm so glad to hear Mo is warming up to it (even if only slowly). Wishing you the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so with you..... its been hard to read other blogs lately as it seems like EVERYONE is pregnant.... everyone is happy and i am mourning a loss and trying to move on.... hoping it gets easier for you
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes and yes. I am waiting to get back on the train, too. Maybe November/December? I will look forward to cycling with you. One way or the other I think it's going to be it for both of us. Whether it works or not, I'm hoping that I can at least enjoy the ride a little better than I did last time.

    I look forward to reading your blog throughout your journey. I'm glad to hear that you're moving on, because being stuck in the waiting limbo really sucks. I wish you and Mo all the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I like about adoption, especially international is that it is like an assignment : you do step A, B, C, and D. Then you get your kid. Hang in there girl : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you. I have all the paperwork done and am waiting for the adoption and am still feeling the same feelings as you. I actually do know someone who is in the same exact spot as you, thinking about adoption but not doing it yet, but not cycling. RPL. I should put you two in touch, it helps to know someone else is feeling your feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and ps- when I first switched to adoption. It was GREAT. There were concrete goals that can be achieved and crossed off the list. And you feel like you are getting somewhere. And there is such relief not to worry about treatments and knowing it will happen.

    But... I am not going to lie. The wait is almost as emotionally difficult as facing IF. I am faced with stats and being completely out of control. My depression/ anxiety has resurfaced. That being said, it's not as bad as IF because I know this will work. But, it's more of a battle than I anticipated. I have to say. But, do-able.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're right, there does seem to have been a tsunami of pregnancy announcements of late - there must be something in the water!

    as always, right here, reading and hoping you get your dream of motherhood fulfilled my sweet.

    ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feeling left behind is not a good feeling.
    It stinks to feel like everyone else is getting what YOU want. I know that feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure you're allowed to be a broken record...this IS YOUR blog!! And it's a wonderful way to just get it all out!! I wish you much luck with your "last try" and definitely luck with the adoption process. Good things come to those who wait, and all that other shit that's spewed onto us infertiles!! Hang in there, Hon...just a little bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm totally with you on this post, feeling like there have been a flurry of pg announcements in the ALI blogosphere and wondering... when's it going to be my turn? Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking about you. I can totally relate to having difficulty finding the work-life balance at this time of year especially. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Feel free to stop by my blog, still not pregnant, still not motivated/positive, sad through watching other bloggers get pregnant...and trying to reconcile it all. Sorry you're feeling this way, but obviously I can relate.

    Thinking of you-Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't get over the number of pregnancies that are happening on my Fertility Board. And with each announcement, and after having 2 of my cycles cancelled, I feel that my chances are dwindling.

    I completely feel left behind!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a bit scary knowing other bloggers are cycling at the same time as yourself. I mean looking at the stats there will always be someone who are left behind. Even if there's well wishes and all the harsh reality is that you wished it was yourself instead.
    Here's hope for your FET and upcoming adoption process if you decide to go that route.

    Visiting from Friday Blog Roundup.

    ReplyDelete