Mo keeps telling me that we're going to have a baby in March. But, to be perfectly honest, after ten years of trying to make exactly that happen, it's hard to imagine that it actually could. I can discuss the abstracts -- possible names and nursery ideas, daycare options -- but when it comes down to it? I simply can't imagine the reality of it. I can't imagine going to sleep with my baby safe and sound next to me. I can see myself rocking an infant, I can imagine those sweet pudgy arms encircling my neck, and I can almost smell that sweet baby smell. I've done that often enough with other people's babies. But the idea that I could have one of my own, one that I don't have to give back? One that is ours to raise, to snuggle and laugh with, to learn and grow and ponder with? I haven't let myself go there in so many years. It seems as though I've forgotten how.
And so it may seem, even to my sweet husband, that I remain fairly detached from this little person growing inside me. And there is some truth to that. A heart that has been broken will often seek to protect itself from similar, future harms. But there's another part, that one foot, that has already begun sinking its toes into the water. I'm moving slowly, that is true. But I'm making progress, delicately balancing my need to keep my head above water (and my feet firmly planted on the shore) with my desire to dive head first into the unknown.
Half in, half out. Neither here, nor there. Waiting, hoping, for some sign that the water is safe. But it's murky water, my friends, and I can't quite see the bottom. I'm going to have to leap eventually, but for now, slow and steady caution is the only way I can make any progress at all.
Slow and steady caution is OK. There's no one right way to be happy. Glad to hear things are still going well, and hoping that 12 week scan brings even more happiness and peace.
ReplyDeleteI pretty much felt this way until the girls were about 6 months old. Even as newborns, I still had this feeling that someone was watching over my shoulder ready to take them away from me the moment I did something wrong.
ReplyDeleteMany, many positive thoughts your way...
ReplyDeletejust stay the course. its never easy after such a long road. the moment you are ready to that the leap... you will know.
ReplyDeleteI honestly can't picture myself having a baby ever; the crazy thing is I can easily imagine somebody else with a history similar to mine managing to have a baby.
ReplyDeleteJust keep putting one foot in front of the other; thankfully this is a process which can proceed with no input required from us:)
In-between is a strange place to be. I, too, have a hard time imagining myself with an actual baby after all this time. But you've got your toes in the water. That's a start.
ReplyDeleteJay has wisely identified an odd phenomenon. I feel the same way. So, I can certainly imagine that YOU'RE going to have a baby. But I think anything other than one foot in, one foot out would be insanity. Good for Mo that he can celebrate, but I would be right where you are - remembering what the alternative looks like and taking one day at a time. That is why you are a wise lady - and makes for a wise mother, too.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy every time I read a new post from you about this pregnancy. I've cried quite a few times. And it is a totally weird place you're in. No joke - it took me until 30 weeks pregnant to feel like I was going to end up with an actual baby (my husband was born at 30 weeks). Nothing but positive thoughts for you and your baby!
ReplyDeleteI just wrote an ebook called "Shooting Blanks: a husbands perspective on missing the mark and dealing with infertility" and was wondering if you would be interested in reviewing it for your blog or if you would like me to write a guest post. Either way I'd be happy to send you a free copy to read.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/Shooting-Blanks-perspective-infertility-ebook/dp/B00EYMOF9W/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1378329120&sr=1-1&keywords=shooting+blanks
Thanks!
I can relate to feeling cautiously optimistic during pregnancy after experiencing loss.
ReplyDelete